Things you want to know about Medicare . . .
– Generally, a person can enroll in Medicare three months before and after their 65th birthday. You are known as a Medicare ‘beneficiary.’
– You can enroll in Medicare through the Social Security Administration by calling 1-800-772-1213.
– Medicare has enrollment periods. You must enroll when you are eligible; however, if you are working, you may delay enrollment in some situations.
– You do not have to be currently receiving Social Security benefits to sign up for Medicare. They are separate benefits.
– You may not need all parts of Medicare if you have insurance from your employer and plan to continue working.
– You will receive your Medicare card automatically if you are receiving Social Security or Railroad Retirement Benefits.